• 73°

Firefighters extinguish appliance fires

Austin firefighter Drew Collins steadies a fan to ventilate a house at 909 Sixth Ave. NE Sunday. -- Eric Johnson/photodesk@austindailyherald.com

Two appliances caught fire in Austin dwellings and were quickly extinguished Sunday.

The Austin Fire Department responded to a fire on the 900 block of Sixth Avenue South for a laundry fire, which Chief Mickey Healey said appeared to be caused by heat and a cleaning solutions.

Around the same time, officials responded to a stove fire on South Main Street.

Only minor damage was reported in both fires.