House fire contained to mattress

Published 12:06 pm Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Austin firefighters douse a mattress that was taken from a house on 301 Fourth Avenue SE Tuesday morning. - Eric Johnson/

Austin firefighters extinguished a house fire at 301 Fourth Ave. SE around noon Tuesday.

According to Fire Chief Mickey Healey, the fire started in a mattress and was contained to the bed. The house did not have any structural damage.

Healey said there is smoke damage in the upstairs of the house.

Email newsletter signup

Jennifer Saucedo, one of the tenants, said her roommate lives upstairs where the fire started, but her roommate was not home at the time of the blaze.

Jennifer Saucedo watches as firefighters enter her family's home to put out a fire upstairs. The fire was contained to a mattress. - Eric Johnson/

Saucedo said she saw black smoke when she opened the door to the upstairs and immediately called 911.

“I went and opened the door and saw black smoke,” she said. “I never saw any flames.”

Everyone got out of the house safe, including two chihuahuas.