Update: Fire damages Austin home

Published 10:38 pm Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Austin and Brownsdale Fire Departments responded to a house fire Sunday evening, about three miles north on Highway 218. - Eric Johnson/photodesk@austindailyherald.com

A rural Austin home sustained $10,000 worth of damage from an electrical fire Sunday night, according to Chief Deputy Mark May.

Austin and Brownsdale fire departments responded to the fire, at 25397 Highway 218 North, around 8 p.m. Sunday.

Homeowner Robert Mullenbach told fire officials he and his wife had just gotten home from visiting relatives and were having trouble turning on a lamp in the living room. When Mullenbach reset an electrical breaker, a fire started in an electrical outlet behind the couch.

Email newsletter signup

Mullenback sustained some minor burns, including one on his back, but he was treated at the scene. His wife and pets got out of the house uninjured, according to the police report.

May said 25 percent of the main floor has fire damage and the rest of the house has smoke and water damage. The loss total is about $10,000.