Prepping for Adams’ celebration
Published 6:14 am Friday, June 10, 2011
Although the planning commission for this year’s Adams Dairy Days is brand-new, it’s not going to break more than 30 years of tradition.
Former organizer, Curt Heimer, said Adam’s dairy-themed festival makes it unique compared to other small town celebrations.
“Its just a good time,” he said.
Email newsletter signup
Now that he’s moved on from the organizing, he’s strictly focusing on the entertainment factor.
“It’s time to relax and just enjoy it now,” Heimer said.
Dairy Days is still three days of variety that encompasses the whole town — the American Legion, the park, the fire hall and the streets. There’s still the sales, games, pancakes, chicken fry, water fights and a parade.
Like last year, Dairy Days kicks off with rummage sales on Friday, June 10, along with a dodgeball tournament and an outdoor movie at dusk for children. Adults may want to head to the American Legion, where the Sons of the American Legion will host a comedy night.
Saturday, the rummage sales continue, but not before the annual pancake breakfast at the fire hall. Although there’s no softball tournament scheduled this year, there is a 5 kilometer run/walk, beanbag tournament and plenty of other events to join in or laugh at.
Because Dairy Days has seen some unfortunate weather the past few years, the Saturday dance has been moved into the Legion hall.
Kara Golombowski, a Dairy Days planner, hopes the events can raise enough money to have an outdoor dance again.
“We are actually featuring three of the gym teachers in the dunk tank, so that should get the kids excited,” Golombowski said.
Water fights continue as the firefighters take to the streets and soak each other, something kids will do on Sunday.
Another staple to the Dairy Days is the milking contest, which closes out the celebration. The conclusion includes a raffle drawing.
Schedule of events
Friday, June 10
• Citywide Rummage Sales
• Dodgeball Tournament, 3:30 p.m.
• Outdoor Movie at Denny’s Car Wash, dusk
• Comedian at the Legion sponsored by SAL, 8 p.m.
Saturday, June 11
• Citywide Rummage Sales
• Vendors at Legion (ex. Pampered Chef, Norwex, 31, Tastefully Simple), 8 a.m. 2 p.m.
• Poker Fun Walk/Bike Ride- Cub Scouts, 7 to 9 a.m.
• Lions Pancake Breakfast and Silent Auction, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• 5K Run/Walk and Kids Mile Fun Run, Sacred Heart School, 9 a.m.
• Beanbag Tournament noon
• Sanctioned Kiddie Pedal Pull, 1 p.m.
• Firemen Waterfight, 2 p.m.
• Legion Steak Fry, 5 to 8:30 p.m.
• Dance with NeonMile at Legion, 9 p.m. to midnight
Sunday, June 12
• Pickup and Tractor Pull, 11 a.m.
• Coronation of Dairy Days Princess and Prince, noon
• Dairy Days Parade, 1 p.m.
• Games and Food in the Park after Parade, 2 to 4 p.m.
• Adams Fire Department Kids Water Fights, 2 p.m.
• Sheltered Reality (entertainment), 3 p.m.
• Chicken Fry at Legion, 4 to 8 p.m.
• Ice Cream Eating Contest, 6:30 p.m.
• Milking Contest, 8 p.m. — Dairy Days Raffle Drawing afterward
• Military Obstacle Course in the park