Packers sweep singles matches in win over Owatonna boys tennis team
The Austin boys tennis team swept the singles matches as they cruised past Owatonna 6-1 on the road Thursday.
Austin’s singles players all won in two sets and Peter Lindahl didn’t allow a match point in his win over Sean Grubish at No. 2 singles.
“He made quick work of his opponent by moving around and when the opportunity arose Peter pounded his shots for winner,” Austin head coach Thomas Tauchnitz said. “Peter has really improved his game. He has a complete game and I attribute his success at the net to playing more doubles this year.”
The No. 1 doubles team of Jacob Brehmer and Bob Astrup cruised to a two set win for Austin (2-1 overall, 1-0 Big Nine).
“They dominated the net with a great mix of power and finesse,” Tauchnitz said. “They complement each other so well. Jacob is a great athlete and has great touch at the net and Bob has such a powerful game.”
1. Josh Detwiler (A) def. Joe Dingman (O)6-3 6-3
2. Peter Lindahl (A) def. Sean Grubish (O) 6-0 6-0
3. Patrick Wagner (A) def. Christian Schuster (O) 6-1 6-3
4. Matt Zastoupil (A) def. Gavin Glynn (O) 6-0 6-4
1. Bob Astrup/ Jacob Brehmer (A) def. Daniel Borgertpoeppping/Alex Appel (O) 6-2 6-2
2. Andrew Heickley/Ryan Rassell (A) def. Matt VanOmmeven/Igor Wicherek 6-4 6-2
3. Ryan Wachowiak/Ty Haley (O) def. Joe Urlick/Andrew Striker 4-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-2