Packers learn some lessons in loss to Century tennis team
Published 12:43 am Wednesday, April 21, 2010
The Packers boys tennis team didn’t win a lot of individual matches against Rochester Century but they did learn some lessons in a 6-1 loss to the Panthers at Paulson Courts Tuesday.
Austin’s No. 1 duo of Jacob Brehmer and Bobby Astrup fought hard in a 6-3, 6-2 loss to a Century team that featured the No. 4 ranked singles player in the state.
“It’s really good for experience,” Brehmer said. “You see what kind of shots people can hit and when you see it again, you’re not really going to be surprised.”
Astrup was pleased with how he and Brehmer played against the Panthers and he felt the duo picked up some big pointers.
“That kid (from Century) could just blast the ball with consistency,” Astrup said. “We really got to work on our returns today and it was a whole different level. It should prepare us for sections, because we’re looking to make a run there.”
Austin’s lone win came at No. 2 doubles, where Matt Zastoupil and Peter Lindal won a tie-breaker in the first set and won the second set 6-3.
“We were headstrong and this is a big win. It was nerve-racking,” said Zastoupil, a senior.
Lindal said the duo got a boost from their lucky charm, a pair of black head-bands the team wears that has their number of wins tallied on the inside of them.
“It’s pretty big for us and we’ve been playing really well together,” said Lindal, a senior. “They’re really talented but we have that strong mental edge to us where we’re always going to push for that win.”
1. Joey Minear (C) def. Josh Detwiler (A) 6-0 6-2
2. Yifan Zhov (C) def. Patrick Wagner (A) 6-1 6-3
3. Jon American (C) def. Joey Urlick (A) 6-0 6-0
4. Brett Peters (C) def. Bob Sherman (A) 6-2 6-4
1. Eric Frueh/Eric Bornhunst (C) def. Bob Astrup/Jacob Brehmer (A) 6-3 6-2
2. Matt Zastoupil/Peter Lindahl (A) def. Ben Barney/Tommy Joswiak (C) 7-6 (7-2) 6-3
3. Cody Narveson/Collins Myhro (C) def. Andrew Heickley/Ryan Rassel (A) 6-2 6-1