Downtown fire cleanup on schedule
Published 12:11 pm Saturday, August 22, 2009
Environmental work at the downtown fire site is right on schedule, the city engineer said Friday.
Asbestos abatement at the destroyed Mi Tierra properties on the 400 block of Main Street is scheduled for completion by Monday, Jon Erichson said, and demolition should begin by Aug. 31 and wrap-up in early October at the latest.
And despite some rain showers this week, work has not slowed down.
Email newsletter signup
“We’re right on track,” Erichson said.
The bids for both projects were awarded Aug. 3 at a city council meeting — abatement went to Abestrol, Inc., for $9,999, while demolition was contracted to BCM Construction for $107,600.
These bids were subject to review by the property owner, Maria Leon.
Leon had previously denied the city’s requests that she clean up the site, which the city deemed “hazardous.”
On June 23, the city and Leon reached a settlement that allows the city to ultimately assess costs to Leon but allows her to review and approve bids and costs as they come in.
The cause of the Jan. 15 fire is still being investigated following a February announcement by police and fire officials that they suspected arson. No suspects have been named publicly.