Crime, Courts & Emergencies
—Gary R. Hegna, 47, of Austin. Convicted of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. Sentenced to 15 years’ supervised probation. Must pay $2,960 in restitution. Offense date: ... Read more | Add your comment
Readers have asked us why access to some of the Herald’s online content now involves answering a survey question. The reason is simple: To help keep the Herald’s website a free source of community news and information.
Many newspapers, including several in Minnesota, now have a fee for access to their web sites. Our goal is to keep the Herald site open to all.
There are, however, costs involved in gathering news and operating the website. So rather than charge for access, we have begun including reader surveys on some articles. This type of advertising provides us a small payment for each completed survey and, most importantly, costs our readers nothing.
No personal information is gathered in the survey process. Rather, the information is aggregated to give national companies general guidelines to help with their marketing campaigns.
We hope that these surveys, which take only a few seconds to complete, prove to be a good way to support our web site operations — without cost to our readers.
- Driver gets probation for fleeing with suspect in trunk | Add your comment
- Robbers jump pedestrian, steal $83 | Add your comment
- Report: Suspect allegedly had child pornography | Add your comment
- Church seeks to block deposition: Accused priest served in Albert Lea in ‘60s | Add your comment
- Police reports: Jan. 30-Feb. 2 | Add your comment
- Pot for patients? Medical marijuana debate comes to Minnesota, area once again | Add your comment
- Stolen gun suspect faces multiple felonies | Add your comment
- Convictions: Jan. 20-24 | Add your comment
- Austin’s last murder was one year ago | Add your comment
- Sexual predator sentenced to 15 years’ probation, fined | Add your comment