You decide: Vote for the top local sports stories of 2013Published 10:17am Sunday, December 22, 2013
We want your sports picks, Austin.
The Austin Daily Herald is letting you, the reader, pick the top sports stories of 2013.
What were the biggest individual and team performances? Which teams’ season stuck out? What were the most impressive events of the year?
Choose up to 5 stories, and look for the recap Monday, Dec. 30 in the print and online versions of the Herald. Voting closes at 5 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 23.
What were the top local sports stories of 2013? (Choose 5)
- Austin boys basketball team takes second at state tournament. (46%, 112 Votes)
- Grand Meadow football team wins state title on head coach Gary Sloan’s 150th career win. (40%, 98 Votes)
- Austin’s Sela Fadness wins all-around state gymnastics title. (36%, 87 Votes)
- Austin boys basketball team wins second straight Big Nine title and goes undefeated in regular season. (33%, 79 Votes)
- Packer football team finishes .500 for first time since 2004. (20%, 49 Votes)
- Blooming Prairie softball team wins state title in fourth straight state tournament appearance. (18%, 43 Votes)
- Austin gymnastics team takes third at state meet. (14%, 34 Votes)
- Southland basketball player Mike Goergen finishes as school’s all-time leading scorer. (13%, 31 Votes)
- Austin girls cross country team wins Big Nine title (13%, 31 Votes)
- Packer dance team makes it 11 straight state meet appearances. (13%, 31 Votes)
- Austin Bruins win first ever NAHL Central Division title. (12%, 28 Votes)
- Hayfield boys basketball team plays in state tournament for first time since 2001. (9%, 21 Votes)
- Lyle-Pacelli girls basketball team takes a big step forward by going 17-9. (8%, 19 Votes)
- Austin boys swim team breaks school records at state meet. (7%, 17 Votes)
- Southland grads Chris May and Alan May play college football together at Winona State University. (7%, 17 Votes)
- Southland basketball player Jana Schammel finishes as school’s all-time leading scorer. (7%, 17 Votes)
- Blooming Prairie’s Jarrod Grunklee takes second at state wrestling meet. (5%, 13 Votes)
- Austin diver Autumn Laury takes sixth at state diving meet. (4%, 9 Votes)
- Austin’s Abby Snater takes eighth in state pole vault. (4%, 9 Votes)
- Austin and Albert Lea Legion baseball teams play together and put together a playoff run. (3%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 242