Archived Story

Ariel Castro pleads guilty in Ohio kidnap case

Published 11:46am Friday, July 26, 2013

CLEVELAND — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro pleaded guilty Friday to 937 counts. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro says a pornography addiction and “sexual problem” have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.

A judge accepted the pleas and declared Castro guilty. Sentencing is Aug. 1.

Castro had been awaiting trial on a 977-count indictment. The allegations include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro’s house May 6.


By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Sign in to Comment | Need help commenting? Click here

Editor's Picks