Sheep escape shed fire that destroys structure

Published 10:44am Tuesday, February 26, 2013

No people or animals were injured after fire destroyed a local shed Monday afternoon.

The Austin Fire Department received the call and responded at about 1:50 p.m. to 2015 17th St. SE near Austin. A resident at the property, Benton Wolcott, pulled in the driveway, saw smoke from the barn, and called 911, according to the sheriff’s report.

While the shed is considered a total loss, the report adds, neither Wolcott, property owners Mary and Hannah Hartson, nor any sheep were injured. The fire was contained to an area where there was a tank heater and a heat lamp, the report adds, so firefighters believe an electrical overload may have caused the blaze.

Other property inside the barn was destroyed; however, the building was insured.


By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Sign in to Comment | Need help commenting? Click here

Editor's Picks