Archived Story

Disability housing aid coming to Minn.

Published 5:19pm Saturday, February 16, 2013


Nearly $98 million in rental assistance is headed to states to help thousands of people with disabilities live in the community.

The federal money is expected to fund 3,530 housing units in 13 states for people who require long-term services and supports to live independently, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said this week.

Housing agencies within the states are now working with Medicaid and Health and Human Services officials to identify very low-income individuals with disabilities who are in need of the rental assistance.

Federal officials say they expect many people receiving the new funds to be transitioning out of institutions. The rental assistance funds were made available under HUD’s Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demonstration Program, which was established as part of a 2010 law in order to create community-based housing options for people with disabilities.

Thirty-five state housing agencies applied to participate in the first-ever distribution of money from the demonstration program, speaking to the heavy demand for housing assistance, according to officials at the Technical Assistance Collaborative, a nonprofit focused on promoting housing and community support services for those with disabilities. Funds are headed to California, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington.

Upcoming Events

•Monday: The Arc will be closed in for Presidents Day

•Tuesday, Feb. 19: The Arc’s 18th annual Rose Sale begins. We are recruiting Rose Sale Captains, Contact The Arc for details or visit

•Saturday, April 6: A Taste of Mower County at Austin’s Holiday Inn from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. This is a fundraiser to benefit The Arc Mower County. Enjoy unlimited tastings of signature items from Mower County’s finest chefs.


Jamey Helgeson is the Program Director at The Arc Mower County and can be reached at or by calling 507-433-8994, Extension 102. You can also visit our website ( and follow us on Facebook (

Sign in to Comment | Need help commenting? Click here

Editor's Picks