Burning tobacco reportedly starts house firePublished 10:00am Thursday, October 25, 2012
The Austin Fire Department helped extinguish a house fire Tuesday morning before the home suffered much damage.
Austin police and firefighters went to the 2300 block of 14th Street SW in Austin at 8:29 p.m. where smoke was coming out of windows on the northeast side of the house. According to the police report, an off-duty firefighter was already spraying water from a garden hose at the house and informed other firefighters the family and dog were already out of the house.
According to the fire department, the fire was started by either a cigarette or tobacco pipe that ignited a pile of clothes in the northwest corner of the northeast bedroom. Firefighters stayed on scene for 52 minutes before calling it safe.
Damage estimates are unknown.