Report: Suspect fired shotgun after being tased

Published 6:55pm Saturday, July 14, 2012

The suspect in a three-hour manhunt in Lyle on Wednesday was not arrested until his shotgun discharged over his shoulder after he was struck by a deputy’s taser, according to the official complaint.

Brian Jerome Jansen, 42, allegedly emerged from a cornfield at about 5:30 p.m. with the barrel of his shotgun in his mouth. Jansen refused to drop the gun after multiple orders from officers; however, Mower County Deputy Jason Bresser moved close enough and found the chance to fire a taser at Jansen from 15 feet, the complaint adds. Jansen allegedly fell backward and fired a shot over his shoulder. He then got back to his feet and pointed the shotgun at Bresser’s midsection, according to the complaint. Bresser said he believed Jansen would have killed him, so Bresser fired a round from his rifle, which caused Jansen to drop the shotgun. Jansen was not struck by a bullet.

The situation began at about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, when Jansen called a neighbor for a ride because a tire on his bike was flat.

According to the complaint, after the neighbor dropped off Jansen, he re-emerged from his home with a shotgun and was fumbling with the shells while trying to load them.

The complaint also states Jansen threw shotgun shells at a woman in the house before he came outside. The neighbor mentioned Jansen appeared intoxicated and upset, so he drove away but soon after heard two gunshots and called 911.

A deputy arrived several minutes later and saw Jansen sitting in a Quonset hut with a gun, but Jansen walked into the cornfield when ordered to drop the weapon, according to the complaint. Jansen did not re-emerge for nearly three hours.

Authorities took Jansen to the Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin where he was treated for a minor wound and then placed him in the Mower County jail. Jansen was charged Friday in Mower County Court with two felonies: second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and possession of a short-barrel shotgun. He was also charged with gross misdemeanors for fourth-degree assault of an officer and obstructing the legal process. His next court appearance is set for July 26, and he is held on $250,000 bail.

Sign in to Comment | Need help commenting? Click here

Editor's Picks