Police break up underage drinking party

Published 11:29am Monday, January 16, 2012

Five area minors were cited for minor consumption early Saturday morning after police discovered a large party in southwest Austin.

Police Chief Brian Krueger said officers came across the party in the 200 block of Third Avenue SW around 1:30 a.m. Saturday. Jacob Rost, 27, and Steven Troupe, 21, were given citations for violating the social host ordinance.

According to Krueger, the minors who were cited include Austin residents Steven Reyes, 19, Brittany Rech, 20, Kali Kaercher, 20, Mallory Corkill, 19, and Albert Lea resident Alyssa Betsinger, 20.

Sign in to Comment | Need help commenting? Click here

• unknown507

This article is wrong in so many ways. I can’t believe that a hometown newspaper would put such a small problem in the paper, let alone on the front page when the author of this article obviously isn’t credible enough to get all the correct information on the occurrence. First off, I was there, and this was NOT an “underage party”. The owners of the house are over 21 as well as 80 to 90 percent of the other guests that were at the gathering (like the article says, only 5 were given a minor consume) — unfortunately when you’re just over the age of 21, you just might have a few friends that aren’t that like to tag along…

• Rhino

HAHAHA you comment is funny… real funny… doesn’t matter where it was at in the paper or how many were of age there drinking…

Bottom line… the residents of the house are responsible for the company they keep!!! whole part of growing up… taking responsibility for your actions… allowing minors to drink in there home or on there property was against the law. doesn’t matter if your 21 or 60 and have friends under 21, don’t allow minors to consume alcohol, its against the LAW!!! DUH!!!

• http://Yahoo HWYSTAR

It’s too bad that people can get drafted into the service when they are 18, yet they can’t drink until they are 21.

• 4u2nv

HWYSTAR, you can enlist into the armed forces at the age of 18 but there is not a draft anymore! So just like a teen who wants to drink, it is their choice and the law is the law…

• 4u2nv

unknown507 if you have a underage person in your home drinking you are the one responsible for them, your house your held accountable. :)

• unknown507

Okay we understand what the laws are, they don’t need to be repeated multiple times.. This article is just irrelevant and shouldn’t even be here.

• Rhino

i think i sense some embarrassment. Now that is funny…

this comment is uncalled for too…

but i dont care… No sympathy for stupidity.

• Cinch

So “Unknown” -

Your first statement was: “This article is wrong in so many ways.”

I have yet to see you post anything about how it’s wrong. There were underaged people at the party, so it was an underaged party. That’s fact. It happened in Austin. That’s fact. It happened around 1:30 AM. That’s fact. The names are listed. Those are fact. So, please enlighten us on “all” the things wrong with the article.

The party happened in Austin, and this is (last I checked) an Austin paper. So how does it have no place in the paper?

Lastly, your argument about there ALWAYS being under aged drinker is asinine. There will always be shoplifters to, should we let them do it as well?

Lets say one of those under aged kids at that party drove and got into an accident and killed either themselves or someone else. Who do you think would be responsible? Answer Rost and Troupe that’s who. You know, those fine gentemen that were nice enough to provide a place (and probably booze) to those under aged people.

Yup, no place for this article. Let the kids drink! Great logic.

• unknown507

Probably one of the most ignorant things I’ve ever been told.. First of all I meant “wrong” by this article being a waste of time and space, I don’t feel like going on about that because it’s an opinion. Another thing, the minors at the house were not invited by the owners, they came with the close friends they did invite and they weren’t just going to kick them out, they just wanted to have a good time. So, no the owners bought no alcohol for them. You can’t even compare underage drinking to shoplifting, ridiculous comparison, and a victimless crime which is also not something I need to prove. Shoplifting is illegal and immoral regardless of age, however drinking alcohol is not.. Anyone can have an accident, most of these minors listed are less than a year away from being 21, so these are not “kids ” as you speak of them. *quick chuckle – you don’t magically obtain powers of maturity or increased responsibility when you turn 21 you fool, look at the ” facts “.

• Cinch

You want to hear the most ignorant thing I have ever heard?

“there will ALWAYS be underage drinkers regardless of the legal age.”

So, there are laws, put there for a reason. But, if they are your friends, and it will “always” be. We should allow them to break the law?

I, for one, will never think of drinking as a victim-less crime. Especially, not with the amount of DWI deaths there are every year.

You’re right in one aspect. You don’t need to “prove” anything to me. (Mostly because you have already proven what type of person you are) But regardless of what I think of you, or you think of me, the fact is what they did was a crime and now they all have to deal with those consequences.

I would urge you to go to court with them and testify to the judge that “there will ALWAYS be underage drinkers regardless of the legal age.” See how far that gets you there. ;-)

Cheers.

• Rhino

unknown507… do not call me names… this is a conversation you will not win, on any level!

• unknown507

-Defeated

• Rhino

the only thing you defeated is yourself with your attempt to make this article ADH’s fault.

• unknown507

My whole point is why does this article even have to exist and be on the front page?.. It doesn’t need to be pointed out for everyone. People get minors every day, all over the place. It’s not news, it’s just saying some young adults got in trouble for doing things they shouldn’t have(absolutely nothing interesting whatsoever). Oh my!, they drank the devil’s nectar and their a nuisance to the community –not quite.. People need to go out and do something positive and make some real news or something.. I don’t really know, heh.

.. Just using my freedom of speech,
      as THE Austin Daily Herald is using their freedom of press I suppose..

Cheers to you, I don’t drink..
      Peace! :)

• whatsup

unknown507—read the ages again, 2 were 19, 3 were 20–no, not all of those cited were 1 yr. from being legal. Anyone attending a party where underage KIDS SHOW UP should demand that they leave pronto or else everyone that is legal leave. Thinking that this is normal and okay behavior is so wrong. The best thing that happened at this party was the cops prevented the underage KIDS that had been drinking from driving that night.

• unknown507

Nope, you lose..Read my comment: I WAS THERE, I was the designated driver, because some people are just nice people who have brains in their head. Where did the driving topic come from anyway? Such a cliche argument against drinking, NOT EVERYONE DRIVES.
      .. And from the amplified use of KIDS, I would imagine you’re fairly old(how unfortunate, sorry) you are probably old enough to have been able to drink by age 18 in the 80′s. How was that?

I personally don’t think people should be able to drink out in public(bars and whatnot) until they are 21 and I agree with the law 100% Because some people don’t grow up.. But the cops were not the best part of the night. Everyone was being very cooperative, but the officers were forcing themselves in and weren’t very polite.

This isn’t about what the law is, I just want to know why this pointless article is front page news. Is Austin really that uneventful, or are writers not creative enough to find something of more interest? Does anyone really care?

• unknown507

And if you want to bring up more useless statistics/facts.. Only within a few points of 100% of KIDS will drink before they legally can.. Nobody can stop them, they get a piece of paper and pay a little fine, and move on…WHO CARES? Kids grow up and get older, but just like they say.. Kids will be kids.

• rosebandit

Dear unknown507,

I understand your comment about ending up being in a spotlight when you live in a small town. It can be embarrassing when people find their names in the hometown paper for a common act such as underage consumption. It’s a hazard that goes along with the territory. I also appreciate your willingness to state your opinions. It gives people who read the ADH something to think and talk about.

Regarding the social host ordinance, it’s there for a good reason and I support it. While some young adults can drink alcohol without problem, many cannot. And, while all adults are subject to risks associated with alcohol use including accidents and alcoholism, young people, including young adults, are far more vulnerable. That’s a fact.

Aside from the immediate hazards of impaired decision-making and judgment, my biggest concern about young people drinking is that some end up really messing up their lives. Alcohol use predisposes to abuse which leads to dependence – it’s a sad tale for many and it almost always has it’s origins in youth. I know it’s not the point of your post, but I’m exercising a little free speech too.

Best wishes to you and keep trying to be positive!

• know_your_facts

There is alot of comments as I’m reading through that are frankly, non of anybodies business besides those affected. As for the driving situation, I can say there was plenty of room for anyone at that party to stay and were more then welcome to. The law was broke and tickets were issued accordingly. But to call people irresponsible for a situation that you were not in person to see is a ignorant statement.
    As for “Rhino” I’m assuming by your cheesy comments and threats about how you have more power over someone else,”this is a conversation you will not win, on any level! “- that you are a cop. I draw that you feel empowered by what you do. which is frankly fine in my book. But, you might want to tone it down on being so power hungry and grow some compassion for things 90% of the population as done. (underage drinking) Also take a writing class and please learn how to properly …

• Rhino

hahaha… i am not a cop…. assumption is the same as stupidity…

how was me telling someone they wont win on any level a threat???

who said anything about more power over anybody???

“know your facts”… you might want to get some facts before you start clicking away on a keyboard.

• http://Yahoo HWYSTAR

It’s just too bad that they had to deal with the mower county GESTAPO. Their track record speaks for itself.

• hartman

Rhino it looks like you got another one mad at you. Are you going to be able to sleep tonight knowing that???

You got to learn to be more calm and friendly (ha,ha)

• Rhino

i always sleep well… i feel the love

• hartman

Sounds good and just wanted to make sure you could handle it (ha,ha)

• cooper

Hwystar Why dont you give it up. You broke the law and got caught. That is the only reason that you keep running down our police. Why dont you just man up and admit that you did wrong and got caught. Ok now lets hear all of your weak excuses about how you were wronged and didnt do anything to gain the attention of the law enforcement community. Or how they violated your civil rights because im sure that some of the people that post on here havent heard you weak story yet.

• whatsup

Hwystar,Knowyourfacts,andUnknown 507—-sounds like all three of you were at this party. Well, unknown507–I am not old unless you consider 29 old–but, I am old enough to know better. You said personally you don’t think underage “kids” or Minors should drink in bars but it is fine that you haul them around to parties to drink…????? What a perfect friend you are..you will haul Minors to and from parties to drink booze…do they also let you clean up the puke, ashes, and butts in your car???? Do you get to wake up those that pass out too??? What a great guy you are. Read about the teen that “partied” over the weekend in Roch. passed out in his friend’s car and DIED–I wonder if his parents are thanking their dead son’s “friend” for letting him pass out in his car and leaving him to die. I hope everyone remembers where the party was and all of the names involved in this party–good people to stay away from.

• unknown507

I had absolutely nothing to do with the minors there by the way.. I don’t ” party ” or haul idiots around ; or have never been in trouble with the law myself. Who says these kids even smoke or puke? Heh.. And if someone decides to drink, and they drink too much and die –I’m sorry if this sounds harsh but they brought it upon themselves(their fault if you didn’t catch that) , they should have known the risks. And that person obviously wasn’t a real friend that was with them. I have morals and would help anyone in that situation. Not everyone is the same, so don’t be so quick to pass judgment on people you don’t know bud.

• justgowithit

“Know_your_facts” I do not read anywhere about how Rhino was trying to gain power over anyone? I think he was trying to prove his point; you also ask him not to judge- and yet your judging him with your assumptions of being a cop? Use your own advice. As for the “please take a writing class and learn how to do so properly” TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE!! You sound like an idiot. Quit trying to sound older than you really are and use words you know how to properly use in sentences. Your opening sentence- goes to show what the rest of your comment will be like- poorly written. I am going to go out on a limb and assume you are one of the girls whose name is in this article and now mommy cannot cover your tracks for you. You got busted; quit trying to find others who have compassion for you. You can sure tell that you act your age (as I am also going to assume which 19 year old you are by your idiotic comments) “I draw that you feel empowered by what you do. Which is frankly fine in my book”? Really? Are you a psychic now? “Grow some compassion”? Really? You are not Kesha; you ask for others to HAVE compassion. So please before you open your mouth and/or start typing put a filter on that thing you have for a brain. Also take your own advice and take a writing class and learn how to properly… maybe spend a little less time filling the world with your worthless comments and spend a little more possibly reading a textbook. Thank you. :)

• justgowithit

I apologize for the double comment my first one wasn’t finished and I accidently pushed send :)

• formeraustinian

@unk507 – You keep saying this article shouldn’t be in the paper – you could be correct. I believe the reason the article appeared to begin with is due to the newness of the “Host/Hostess Ordinance”. The cops haven’t had much opportunity to use this ordinance yet and when they got that opportunity it became a “big” story and those hosts were ‘made an example’ – not saying it’s fair – but you will learn as you get older that life isn’t always about ‘fairness’!!

• unknown507

Finally, a respectable reply.. And I know damn well life is unfair. I’ve had plenty of my own mishaps, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right? I take what life throws at me and keep living a happy life.

• Rhino

Made examples??? there is a law in place… they enforced it… like they should… it may wake one of these kids up so they don’t end up dead or kill someone…

Read about the 18 year old in roch??? any one of these kids could have been him if the cops hadn’t shown up and broke up the party.

• http://Yahoo HWYSTAR

Cooper, sure I made a mistake, but when a case by judge Rysavy is REVERSED on appeal because he did an “UNCONSTITUTIONAL UPWARD DEPARTURE” I believe that it’s way past time for him to retire. When judges don’t obey the law, there is no law!

• B_E_HA

Obviously, these young adults made a mistake. And yes they will pay the consequences. Everyone makes mistakes. I’m guessing this made the paper due to the social hosting. This article may not be fair to those named but it is over and done with now. Everyone is entitled to their own opinon. Some may think this is a big deal, others may not. But there is no need to assume who is who. And calling each other out. No need to be rude. Yes, many young adults drink underage and that is their choice. If they get caught, every single one will pay the consequences. So don’t single anyone out. They are not the only ones that have ever got caught. Life goes on.

• know_your_facts

I was just stating, if you know the right people you get out of tickets. Plain and simple. It was stated “When judges don’t obey the law, there is no law!”. How is it any different if you just get out of them?

AND I’M GOING TO WRITE THIS IN CAPS SINCE CLEARLY YOU CANNOT READ “TICKETS WERE ISSUED ACCORDINGLY!!!” AND ONE MORE TIME JUST ENCASE YOU OVERLOOKED IT AGAIN “TICKETS WERE ISSUED ACCORDINGLY!!!” I NEVER ONCE DENIED THE LAW WAS NOT BROKE, EXACTLY

• scottb

know why this article was printed and put online? See all those ads? See all those comments? Think the ADH makes money off of ad revenue?

But kids will probably always be doing this. Some will say “They weren’t hurting anyone” and other will say “It doesn’t matter, they were breaking the law” and both sides can be right. Everyone get over it.

If the kids go out and do something stupid and end up dead or hurt (or worse..someone else is dead or hurt) then they deserve every harsh comment or punishment due to them.

How many high schools across the country have the opportunity to put wrecked cars out front or have other examples of very poor choices kids make that end up with someone dead or hurt? If they can’t learn from that, then they’ll have to learn it in heaven or in jail/prison and face the wrath of the general public.

• Jayne

Why was this article in the news paper? Because it is news. People chose to break the law, and they got caught. The minors were not under 18, so they are adults. As adults, they should accept the consequences of their choices.

• cooper

Hwystar, My point being if you would have behaved yourself then you wouldnt have anything to complaine about. Your statement is aimed at the police and not just one judge. Like I said before get over it and move on. What done is done.

• http://Yahoo HWYSTAR

Cooper, are you sure that you aren’t a judge, prosecuter or cop? You sure sound like one.

• cooper

Yep I am preatty sure that I am not any of the above. You are just another one of these people who do something wrong and then Im not the one to blame. It is always someones elses fault. Im just tired of hearing it. Just admit when you screw up and take your punishment like a man and quit whining. I have a whole family who are just like you. Its not my fault, Like I said before if you didnt do anything to attract the attention of the law then you would have nothing to complain about. Point being you put yourself into that position now live with it and quit your complaining.

• Rhino

quite funny how guilty people always try to bring other people up to draw attention away from themselves.

pretty heavy accusations you have made… Hope you “know your facts” and your not going off of what you heard… or a typical austin rumor…

Editor's Picks