State leaders learn this week if flood funds are on the wayPublished 7:54am Tuesday, October 12, 2010
The Minnesota Legislature special session for flood relief that was tentatively scheduled for Monday has been postponed.
The federal government has not yet approved Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s disaster declaration for 21 counties in southern Minnesota that were affected by flooding over two weeks ago.
Total estimated damage is $64 million in all affected areas.
If the federal government approves the disaster declaration, it will pick up 75 percent of the cost, leaving the remaining 25 percent to the state.
Sen. Dan Sparks (D-District 27) said the governor has indicated he will call a special session shortly after receiving the federal declaration.
Rep. Jeanne Poppe (D-District 27B) said she thinks the earliest the session would be held is Thursday.
“In Austin we received flooding, not to the severity that some communities did, but as we continue on our process to mitigate flood damage we’ll continue to seek federal and state dollars to help with our plan,” Poppe said.